Friday, March 5, 2010

Irini's Ever-Expanding Vocabulary

Natalia and Laurence sat down the other day while Skyping Pappou (grandfather in Greek) and wrote down the words that Irini is able to say. It began slowly as we tried to remember, but when Irini realized what we were doing she started adding words to the list, blurting them out for us to write. At the final analysis we were up to 50 words, but the number is growing exponentially by the hour, it seems. Here they are, in no particular order:
  1. Uh oh (first word she every learned, taught to her by our Sydney-based friend Chechi)
  2. Mama
  3. Baba
  4. Chao (ciao)
  5. Bye
  6. Hi
  7. Down
  8. Coming
  9. No (of course!)
  10. Yeah
  11. Kaka (Popo in Greek)
  12. Peepee
  13. Popo (Kaka in Spanish)
  14. I
  15. Want
  16. This
  17. Jugo (juice in Spanish)
  18. Scott (actually pronounced "ska")
  19. Beka (Irini's short version of "Rebecca")
  20. Zizzie (Izzie, her best friend now in Maine)
  21. Agua
  22. Tete (short for "tetero"; Spanish for baby bottle; Irini's way of saying "milk")
  23. Koko (short for verikoko, apricot in Greek)
  24. Cold
  25. Hot
  26. Shoes (pronounced "shus")
  27. Daddy
  28. Please
  29. Pappou (grandad in Greek)
  30. Wet
  31. Raining
  32. Painting
  33. Cheese
  34. Baby
  35. Ouii (when hurt)
  36. Dos (two in Spanish)
  37. Kitty
  38. Danny
  39. Pan (bread in Spanish)
  40. Thank you
  41. Yummy
  42. More
  43. Off
  44. Con (short for air conditioner)
  45. Money
  46. Door
  47. Clean
  48. Nose
  49. Eyes
  50. Boom
Her latest statements:
  1. "I want more"
  2. "I want paint"
  3. "I want this"
  4. "I have money"

No comments: