Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Daddy's Day

 




Well, if we're going to celebrate the girls' birthdays perhaps we should celebrate the father's. This year the birthday arrived on a weekday and so it was a bit more 'scrunched' into the daily schedule than it has been in the past. Regardless, it was a great day, starting with a wonderful bougatsa breakfast (with a little side of 'kafedaki' for daddy). The Greek theme continued through the day so that - after a day of 'happy birthdays' from the people surrounding us, the return home allowed us time to really big into things. Daddy had been asked what he wanted for this special day. The answer, a resounding walk down memory lane, with all sorts of goodies. First, of course, there was pastitsio, crafted to perfection using an old recipe from the Myers family (giagia's, to be exact). Then there was a yummy side salad topped with the requisite Greek olive oil, followed by another family (on the Greek side) favorite: Cinnamon cake!  And, to ensure that sugar was the real winner of the day, the formal dessert was comprised of vanilla ice cream topped with instant coffee. Though mommy's response to that last one was "yuck" there is a story to this...
Years ago, when daddy was no older than eight or so, he had gone on a family vacation to Corfu with pappou and giagia (mama and baba to him, of course) and Aleko. Once there they had walked their way around the center of the city where, as luck would have it, they found a "hole in the wall" ice cream shop with all sorts of flavors. And their flavor of choice? Perhaps you guessed it... vanilla ice cream with instant coffee sprinkled on top. :-)

But the true present was the love put into all the food by mommy and the girls, the beautiful words written on the cards they gave daddy, the family being together for dinner, of course, and some cuddle time to top the evening off. For daddy, it was the perfect day. 

For the record, the cards read:

"Dear Daddy, happy birthday! I love you sooooo much. Thank you for being the most caring, funny, kind, wierd daddy that you are. You mean the world to me. I love you with all my heart. I hope you have the most amazing day. I love you. Te amo. Σ'αγαπω πολυ. Amalia"


and

"Dear Daddy, 53.... already??? Happy birthday!! I cannot explain or even comprehend how much I absolutely love you!! You are soooooooooo amazing and I have no clue what I would do without you. You have brought me joy, happiness, love, and everything I could ever ask for. You are such a caring and loving person to everyone. You always make people happy and have the biggest heart in the world. I have always loved being with you and look forward to many more amazing memories to come!!! Love, Irini

 

Now tell me. Is that not the perfect gift for a father/husband?  I love my girls!  All three of them!

No comments: