Wake up the sounds of children crying. The day passes in a cloud of stress, with adults trying to perfect their personal forms of multitasking that go something like this: Feed the baby. She's crying. No wait! Change the diaper. No, clean the chair. The construction next door is so loud! Deep breath. Make sure the milk is ready. Is the water ready for the bath? Irini wants this. Then that. Amalia wants to be held, only to want to get down as soon as she is. Crying. Yelling. Construction. Crying some more. Exhaustion. Frustration. Emotions run high. Deep breath. Think positive. Doesn't last more than a couple seconds when the next bout of emotional outcries hits the living room. Tense atmosphere. Can I handle this? Please tell me this isn't what I have to look forward to for the rest of the my life? Deep breath. I need a break. Has there been even one decision today that has not brought out an emotional fit? I need out! No, I'm a parent and I can handle this. Turn around to face the girls again. Crying. Tantrums. No, I can't handle this. Deep breath. Sleep exhausted.
Today:
Wake up the sounds of children playing. They come in to say hello and pull daddy out of bed. We eat breakfast at the table. We go for a walk outside to look and feed the fish in the lake. Smiles all around. We have hot chocolate at Deli France. We go to Tarbush for some middle eastern food. Irini poops and we don't have a diaper, but she walks all the way home, despite the leak. She's a trooper. Amalia falls asleep with little crying. She has been eating Cheerios happily all the while. We nap for over two hours, all simultaneously. We wake up and Leanne comes to visit. We go to the pool and have a blast. Irini is happy as can be. Amalia is happy as can be. We return home to have a shower and change. We go out to Suzi's for kebabs, roti canai and tandoori chicken. Everyone eats happily. We return home, and Irini thanks Leanne for coming to visit! We wave bye bye as she drives and go upstairs. Irini thanks mom and dad for taking her to the pool and having so much fun! Mom and dad look at each other, trying desperately to keep themselves from falling over in disbelief. Amalia goes to sleep easily. Irini brushes her own teeth (with a little help) and we read four books before she turns over and slumbers happily. Daddy gives her a kiss and says "thank you" for a great day. Deep sigh and a smile. Love.
No comments:
Post a Comment